Saturday, July 01, 2006

A Blessing in Disguise?

Taken From "Act Naturally"
As Performed by Buck Owens

They're gonna put me in the movies
They're gonna make a big star out of me
We'll make a film about a man that's sad and lonely
And all I have to do is act naturally

Well, I'll bet you I'm gonna be a big star
Might win an Oscar, you can never tell
The movie's gonna make me a big star
'Cause I can play the part so well

-------------------------

Being unemployed is one of the worst feelings you can have. Not only is there a severely limited revenue entering your household, the party or parties who is/are unemployed feel helpless, like there is nothing he/she/they can do to control his/her/their life/lives. However, while I have not enjoyed my experience being unemployed, I am starting to view it as a blessing in disguise, because it could be a lot worse. My parents are helping me with the basic bills, so I know that the lights will stay on and they won't show up to evict me, and there will be food on the table. So, now that I have had my fill of sulking for the moment, I think I am starting to see a bright side to the whole unemployed situation.

First, being unemployed is a phenomenal opportunity to look for a job that I would like. Sure, I have been putting in for jobs that I wouldn't necessarily love to do for the rest of my life, but for the most part, I have been putting in for jobs that I think would be interesting or fun or at least something I would like to try. I would never have had the time for applying to different positions if I were still at the university. Being laid off has given me the opportunity to explore options for my life, that I most likely would not have explored had I remained in my position.

Second, being unemployed has allowed me to accomplish a lot of things I would otherwise not have been able to accomplish. I have cleaned a lot of things in my house, and I am in the process of going through things and getting rid of them. I would never have had the time to clean out my scary storage room if I were working, and that is what I am going to start this afternoon. Also, I am going through old paperwork and files, and getting rid of things I don't need or want any more. {A bit of an aside: if anyone needs office supplies, i. e. pens, pencils, paper, etc., drop me an e-mail or leave a blog comment. I have stuff I am probably going to get rid of, and I don't want to trash anything if someone can use it.} My life is getting lighter and lighter as I go along, and it is a good feeling. I have been bogged down with my things for so long, that it is nice to get rid of the things I don't need. I just can't part with my books, though. As much as I want to get rid of stuff, my books aren't going anywhere.

Of course, not working makes money tight, and I can't go out and do the things I would like to be doing. I guess there will be time for that later, though. Right now, I am getting caught up on all the chores I have been putting off for a year, and it feels good.

School is another option. I could go back to school full time, and start work on a master's degree.

-------------------------

Not sure what's on the agenda for today. I have to call Bradley and Amanda today, and Heidi is going to call me this evening. Not sure what we're going to do, since there's no money, but at least I get to see them all.

I think I'll start work on the paper for Cathy's class, too. I kinda miss doing research and writing. Maybe it will even make me feel good. I was thinking: if the paper turns out really good, I might use it as a sample to try to get into grad school. Maybe that's an option for me in the fall, instead of working. I've certainly been thinking about a lot, and I realized that I have a lot of options. A good mood is starting to emerge.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a great attitude and I am proud of you!

Cathy

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home