Friday, May 19, 2006

The Chance to Sing

The Chance to Sing
Music by Billy Goldenberg
Lyrics by Tom Jones

We’re like birds
Who are perched
On the limbs of a tree
When the time is right
We simply fly away

Then other birds come
And take our places
But they won’t stay

We come, we go
It was always so
And so it will always be

We’re like a flock of birds
Moving endlessly
But listen to me
I want you to know the most important thing

Before the time when we must fly away
We have the chance to sing
Don’t miss the chance to sing.

--------------------

So, today is my last day of work. It's a very strange feeling. My office is completely empty of personal things, except my bookbag and my coat. There is nothing on the desk, I've taken all the files off my computer, and there is nothing in any of the drawers or cabinets. There's nothing really for me to do, either. I have a few odds and ends that my boss would like me to work on, but I have been taking my time. Why should I bust my ass? What are they going to do, fire me on my last day?

I'm having lunch with some colleagues today at noon. That should be fun. I am really excited to get away from the office and see these friends on a personal level. It's just too uncomfortable to talk about the situation while I am in the office.

Things may be starting to look up a little, however. Brenty found out that he has the opportunity to put in two recommendations for temporary work at Delphi, and he put in me and his fiancee. It's only temporary for right now, but they are starting temps off at $14 an hour, and they are working a lot of overtime. The way I figure it, I might make something like $40,000 for a year if I work enough overtime. That would be pretty sweet. I could pay off all of my bills except for student loans, get my car fixed and maybe trade it in for something a little more practical, and save up enough to not work while I am finishing my master's degree. Who knows? If I work for a couple of years and save up enough, I may not have to work while I work on my master's OR my doctorate. That would be awesome. Maybe something is finally going to go my way.

My friend Harold is moving to Florida in a few weeks to get married. I am really kinda bummed out about it. I am extremely happy for him, because he deserves to be happy and to enjoy life, but I won't be able to see him for a really long time. I don't have the money to just take off and go to Florida, so I don't know when I'll see him next. I guess I'll just have to spend as much time as possible with him before he goes.

I'm in a weird mood, and can't wait for 5 o'clock...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home