Sunday, March 23, 2008

I Am A Rock

I Am A Rock
By: Simon and Garfunkel

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor.

Hiding in my room
Safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me

I am a rock
I am an island.

-------------------------

I'm feeling kinda bleh today. I keep thinking about how much I want to go home, and I know that I just can't do it right now. I have to wait until I have the money to go, and it's driving me crazy. I never thought I could go this long without seeing my friends and family. I think about all of you every day.

The presentation went well. I spoke for 45 minutes on women's employment during the early nineteenth century in northern New England cotton mills, and I think the presentation went quite well. There weren't many people there, but I was well prepared, and I was nervous for nothing. Being there, making that presentation, though, reminded me of how much I want to go to graduate school. I really need to get everything in order so I can get to work on a master's degree. I want to finish my doctorate within 6 years from today, so I can teach at a university somewhere.

I've had some other personal stuff going on, but I don't really feel like talking about it. Suffice it to say, that's a big part of why I am in a crummy mood. Sometimes, being intelligent can be a curse. We intelligent people spend so much time rehashing and replaying our lives, that we often make ourselves miserable. I've often wished that I were a little bit dumber...ignorance is bliss.

I'm cleaning house, and it is getting close to bedtime, so I should finish this and get ready for tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, I miss you too. Just hold in there. I'm glad your presentation went well. Just keep pinching those pennies away and hopefully I'll see you soon.
Love, Shannon

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home