Tuesday, March 11, 2008

MacArthur Park

Oh my God, I love the song MacArthur Park. I think it's a really cool song; but, I just listened to Weird Al Yankovic do a parody of it called "Jurassic Park," which was fucking hilarious. Check it out if you don't believe me.

There's not been a whole lot going on around here. I went with Harold and the kids to the movies on Saturday. We saw a pretty cool movie called "The Spiderwick Chronicles." It's a kids movie, but it was still pretty interesting. I recommend it if you are looking for something entertaining but not too serious.

I got my tax refund in the mail yesterday, so I have just been catching up on bills and trying to get everything in order before all the money is gone. I hate having to live from paycheck to paycheck, hoping for the extra checks that come along from time to time.

I still haven't heard anything from Harold about his last installment of his Social Security settlement. Hopefully it comes in soon, so I'll be able to come home.

As most of you know, March is Women's History Month. We celebrate this month at our facility, and as part of the festivities, each of the departments at the prison is required to make a presentation to the rest of the staff about some topic relating to women's history. Well, being the idiot I am, I happened to mention to a few colleagues that I was a women's studies minor in college, so they all went apeshit and decided I should be in charge of the presentation. It is an hour long, and I was given no guidance on the subject, other than it has to be ready for presentation by a week from tomorrow. So, that gives me a little more than a week to turn one of my papers into an hour-long presentation.

Today, when I talked to my boss, he told me that he thought my topic sounded a little too academic. I told him if he wasn't happy with my topic, he should feel free to give the presentation himself. He backpedaled pretty quickly. I hate being volunteered for things by my other colleagues who say that I should make the presentation, because I have gobs of free time to do it in. While it is true that I am responsible for less instructional time than my classroom counterparts, there is a greater deal of paperwork that comes with my job, not to mention the fact that preparing a paper to present to a group and turning it into an hour-long presentation with a PowerPoint is an extremely time-consuming affair. Even if I stay up nights until the presentation, I will be lucky to finish it in time. Wish me luck; I'll be pretty busy for the next week.

I e-mailed Cathy for some pointers on presenting a paper, and she had some really good pointers. I am going to try to make the best of this situation. I guess it will help prepare me for future presentations of papers when I write them.

Well, with that, I am going to try to get some more work done on the presentation. Feel free to interrupt me on AIM or give me a call...I'll probably be up late, anyway.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck! You've always been good at that stuff anyway. The time crutch sucks though. -Shannon

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home