Thursday, January 05, 2006

Should I Be Offended?

So I had an interesting encounter with my boss today. I'm not sure how to take it. I woke up this morning, and I had a terrible stomach ache, and I was spending an awful lot of time in the bathroom when I got up (I won't go into any more detail than that). So, I called the office and told the receptionist that I would be in around 10:00, because I was having some personal issues and needed a few minutes to pull myself together and see if I could be away from the toilet for more than five minutes. I seriously hadn't been off the phone for more than two minutes when my boss called. She said she had some concerns about my use of sick days (as you no doubt remember, I was sick for two days right before Christmas, and had to be off for two days) and I needed to remember that I was still a probationary employee, even though I had been made permanent. I told her that I understood, and that I would be in as soon as I could. So, I threw my clothes on (I'd already taken a shower, but decided I didn't need to wear a tie to poop), jumped in the car, and made it to the office by 8:50, less than an hour after I was supposed to be there. In the first two hours I was at the office, I had to run to the bathroom 4 times, and I also threw up in my trash can.

I tell you all of this to ask a question: should I be offended that my judgment was questioned in the use of my allotted sick time? True, I have only been a permanent employee for two working weeks, and yes, I have taken two days and 1 hour of sick time. However, these were legitimate illnesses, not me playing sick so that I wouldn't have to come to the office. If they were, I would be the first one to say that I was in the wrong, and should have just come to work. But, since I was sick on both accounts, I think I am somewhat justified in being offended and frustrated that my judgment was called into question over these issues. I'm trying to be patient, because I can see where someone would be concerned over this perceived "absenteeism," but I remain frustrated that I am gaining notoriety for things that are beyond my control.

Phew. It feels good to get that off my chest. Okay, so now on to more enjoyable subjects. I met Amanda and Bradley and Bradley's entourage at Border's for coffee Tuesday night, and it was really fun. We sat for seriously like three hours and just talked and joked and made everyone uncomfortable. It was great. It's been so long, I'd almost forgotten how much fun it is to just chill in the coffee shop and do nothing. Bradley's friends are cool, and we had a really good time. I even shared some of my poetry and short stories with Bradley and Amanda, something that I was surprised that I did. I usually don't share that stuff with anyone, and I can't believe that I actually let them read that stuff. Maybe I am growing more comfortable with myself as a writer and as a person. That would be really cool.

So then, yesterday, I went and saw Amanda at work, to keep her company. It was so much fun. I got to meet her mommy, who seems really cool. She totally gave me like 4 hugs in the time I was sitting there talking to her. How awesome. So then, Ryan came up to hang out for a while, and then Amanda and I went to Target and did random shopping for an hour. It was great. I'm going back tonight, and it should be awesome.

So, I'm not sure what the plan is for this weekend, but I think that I'm going to hang with Ryan and Amanda, and I'll probably also see what Bradley has going on. I am shooting to have a Cakers' Club reunion the first weekend after the beginning of the semester, but I don't know how that will work out. I'd like to have it this weekend, but I have so much left to do with the apartment, and no money to throw a party. The refund check should be in by the following weekend, so I'll have money to throw a proper party. What kind of hostess would I be if I threw a shoddy party? Emily Post would never forgive me.

I miss my friends from Central. You will always be a part of me. I'll be thinking about you until we meet again.

I'm excited about my new friends: you're awesome. Thanks for choosing to be a part of my life.

Ta-ta.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matty! I heart you so much. Thanks for the cookie monster message. It made me laugh. And hey, I'm sick too. Threw up pretty much all night and now my whole body is cramped up. Woot. Anyhoo, I hope you feel better and I love you.

4:03 PM  
Blogger amanda. said...

Yes, I would also be offended.

I went through 3 months of illness a year ago where I missed like, 3 months of work, usually with very short notice. I was in the same sort of situation where I had to meet an obligation, but also take care of myself.

At the same time, I'd say stuff yourself with meds and puke all over the office. That's what I'd do.

:o)

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh good idea! And you could stick like breath freshener in your eyes to make yourself cry! I'm sure they'd let you go home then.

And in the words of my friend Rhonda- I rhombus you!

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home