Tuesday, January 03, 2006

It's So Hard To Come Back From Break

As much fun as it is to have 10 days off from work, it just makes it so hard to come back. Now, don't get me wrong: I love my job, and I love the people I work with. However, after having 10 days to lay around and do nothing, it's hard to get out of bed at 6:45 and leave my warm house and warm bed to venture out into the cold outside to make it to the office. Not to mention the fact that our office was busy as hell today, and it was nearly impossible to get anything done, though there are about 12 projects that I am in the middle of right now. Arrgh! I almost wish that I would have worked through the holidays, just so that there wasn't such a mess to come back to.

As hectic as it was, the break was hectic, too. I had company for the entire break, aside from three (maybe four) nights where I was all alone in the house. I actually had to wait for break to end to have a break. Isn't that funny? Oh well. I enjoyed having friends visit, especially during the holidays. Christmas, especially this Christmas, is usually a somewhat depressing time of year for me, and it always makes it easier when those you love are there for comfort and support. I think I just have such high expectations for the holiday, that when things don't go as planned, it bums me out. I'm learning, however, that nothing is perfect and I need to relax and let what happens, happen.

I was happy with my Christmas gifts this year, though there was nothing overly exciting or fun. It amazes me that as we get older, Christmas becomes more about what we need than what we want. This year, the only thing I got that I wanted was Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Supremacy, while I got other things I needed, such as pajamas, slacks, socks, a blanket for my new chair, a day planner, and some money. These are wonderful gifts, but they weren't by any means "fun" items. That's my point: as we get older, we ask for things that we need rather than things we want. I think I know why that is, though. Now that I am an adult and have a job, I go out and buy things when I want them. Unlike when I was a kid, I have the money to buy things I want, and I don't have to wait for Christmas to ask my parents to buy these things for me. I guess this could be a good or a bad thing. It's good, because I can have almost anything I want, whenever I want. It's bad, though, because there's nothing left for me to get when Christmas comes around, and I end up asking for clothes or other things I need, but haven't gotten around to purchasing yet. Oh well. Such is the life of an adult.

Is anyone else pissed that there was no snow for Christmas? I woke up and looked out my window, and I was furious. How could it be Christmas if there was no snow? Not only that, but I didn't get any of my baking done this year, my Christmas cards didn't go out, and my family celebrated Christmas on the 24th. So, I woke up to a rainy, ugly day, only to spend it by myself. Bah Humbug!

Well, like I said, I'm back to work today, and now that I'm here, it hasn't been too bad. I spent most of the day in my office working on things, and I did have a couple of short meetings I had to go to. I'm done for the day now, and I'm just wrapping up a few things before I run home. I'm excited; I get to hang out with Amanda and Ryan and Bradley tonight around 8. We're meeting at Borders for coffee and conversation, and it'll be fun to hang with the crew. I've got to try to not spend money, though, as there's not that much in the coffers to spend right now.

Well, this is starting to ramble, so I'm going to cut it short for now. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to write more tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home